Thursday 4 June 2009

E3 - Yay or Nay for Sony?

So a quick summary of the Sony press conference

  • Uncharted 2 to kick things off, STUNNING, despite not having played the first game beyond a demo this is definitely gonna find its way into my collection.
  • MAG- hmmmmmm on paper stunning (256 player online) but it's leaving me very skeptical, the amount of coordination required among a team will have to be huge and just one jackass who runs ahead to be a hero will severly piss off an entire team (128 people!), then again talented folk behind the project so prove me wrong is all I can say Zipper
  • PSP GO- well we all knew about this but...what! JESUS CHRIST THE PRICE- if it costs the supposed £179-£200 the rumour mills are telling me then i may have to delay my purchase by a year or two. The software announcements were incredible (Metal gear (a real one with the mgs4 team behind it), GTPSP (800 cars and 40 tracks, need i say more), resident evil portable, Little big planet etc. Will be interesting to see just how many of these titles make it to UMD...
  • Home was mentioned...errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...seriously Sony, this should be the drunk uncle you keep locked upstairs at a dinner party refusing to acknowledge he exists...
  • Final Fantasy VII on PSN today, go download it RPG fans, £3.49...it'd be rude not to
  • Huge montage of games (modern warfare 2, heavy Rain, RatcheT And clank future, HANNAH MONTANA PSP)
  • Playthrough of Assasins Creed 2, looking good...
  • Final Fantasy XIII trailer, wow, maybe us europeans will get it by spring 2010, english voicework already done...
  • Final Fantasy XIV console exclusive to PS3, WHAT! I choked on my Crumpets and tea came out of my nose when the trailer reached its conclusion, then i saw it was an online only game and went back to sleep.
  • Modnation Racers- LBP on wheels as some like to call it, looking v promising from the 5 min tech demo, will be interesting to see if it gets the same hype and user input the LBP does
  • Motion controls- see Reakts post, pretty impressive and I like the way they ackowledge you actually need a controller for some things (unlike Natal), all i can say is that its prty friggin hilarious how Nintendo's wii motionplus accessory has been trumped in both microsofts and sonys conferences...
  • GT5- your usual pretty trailer from the folk at polyphony but wait, DAMAGED CARS, WRC LICENCE AND...nascar... oh - very cool nevertheless
  • GOW3- WOW, THE LAST GUARDIAN - DOUBLE WOW (i bet the cat-bat-rat thing dies, and every gamer will cry, downing the world...all part of Sony's plans for world domination)
Its worth scouring the remains on gametrailers.com or something as a lot of the stuff has to be seen to do it justice. In other news the 'exclusive' metal gear rising game shown at the 360 conference will indeed be coming to PS3, and has anyone heard the news...hideo kojima behind a Castlevania game... has me excited (huge fan of both)...

see the trailer for yourself i guess
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-castlevania-lords/50687?type=flv

peace out brodeo [Mittens]

10 comments:

  1. http://www.game.co.uk/PSP/Hardware/Console/~r342217/Sony-PSP-Go-Black-Console/?s=psp%20go

    http://www.gamestation.co.uk/PSP/Hardware/Console/~r416534/SonyPSPGOBlackConsole/

    yikes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. £230 at Game - yikes indeed! When I bought my PSP I imported it from US in order to get it sooner than the crappy UK release date. I paid £200 on ebay for it. When the PSP was eventually released I think it cost about £220 here. So what Sony are doing is trying to charge a similar fee for the redesigned model. It's expensive, yes, but remember that it has some quite big changes over the previous models. 16GB of onboard flash, bluetooth, Wifi. No doubt the other hardware is upgraded (can't find any specs yet). The Ipod touch comes in a 16GB variant and has a very similar screen to the PSP Go. I imagine it's cheaper to manufacture since the RAM, graphics and CPU will all be inferior (again, not seen the specs of the PSP Go but the iPod touch ain't anything special). Apple price the 16GB iPod touch at £214, a similar price to the PSP Go.

    I wouldn't be surprised if Sony had designed something that's very expensive for them to manufacture (again!). They always want to make the Ferrari product in order to outsmart their competitors on the technical specs, yet it ends up priced too highly to beat them on sales.

    I was impressed by the Sony conference and I think they did a lot better than last year. Uncharted 2 is gonna rule, and shame on you Tone for only playing the demo and not the full game! I put blood sweat and tears into beating that bad-boy on "crushing" difficulty level. That's actually the only Platinum trophy I've bothered to collect.

    I agree with you about Nintendo. They need to come out with something groundbreaking to outdo Sony and Microsoft again. Mind you, the HD version of the Wii is maybe just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tone, I am very excited about the prospect of a Hideo Castlevania too - the trailer looks rlly, rlly good. Out devils, Devil May Cry if you will.

    @reakt - I'm afraid I'm the same as Tone, downloaded and enjoyed the demo of Uncharted, but for one reason or another I didn't pick up the full game. For shame!!!

    I have learnt my lesson though and will definitely be out in support of this AAA exclusive. Looks a-mazing!

    Also - is FF7 on the UK store yet? Say it's so, say it's so...Just a quick note on the FF13 voice acting too..in a word...ughhhhhh, I hope the Blu-Ray accommodates the original Japanese audio. I think I am hotwired to view/play anything remotely manga/anime influenced (in terms of visual style) in its native form.

    What the hell is that girl on at the start - she sounds like she is taking the piss, or modelled on some terrible generalisation of a pauper Victorian cockney child:

    "Please mother, spare me the gallows."

    /rant

    ReplyDelete
  4. lo siento amigos, i forgot to write my name at the end of the post :S

    @pablo, nah not up just yet, i keep checking every hour

    ReplyDelete
  5. GT5 + damage = WIN! that was a 'whut?' momnet watching that, i actually rewinded the video to re-check that my consumption last night wasn't making me still trip balls. but there it was, on screen in it's crumpled twisted glory, a damaged GT5 car. awesome. i have been getting a bit bored of late waiting for that sodding game to turn up, but you can't rush genius. oh and GTpsp, great spec' sheet but i don't like gaming on the psp, the controls always feel off to me. bring back the Atari Lynx, that's what i say :) damn, that thing went everywhere with me.. along with it's mains adapter.

    @ Mittens - i fixed your post to show your name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mittens for post and U3S massive for the comments - I'm deleting my 134 Google Reader posts from the other sites for last 3 days, as all I needed was a one page E3 wonder - here it is.

    Tone/Pabloamigo - I got Unchartered on press copy from the Ramp boys, played the game right through and although short, still 9/10. The trophy update broke the press copy, I've been sorely tempted to pick up on Platinum or preowned just to replay and try to match Reakts Platinum (dialled up compare trophies on you all!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jimmy

    I've been tempted by the plat version too.

    Would want to get it played and completed before the 2nd one comes out though. Maybe I'll pick it up once my KZ2 fever dies down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. pabloamigo - sounds like a good idea.

    talking of demos - MAG is one game which must surely be demonstrated with a date limited demo, as people (like us) will not accept its success without getting our grubby mits on it first, right?

    E3 sounds pretty good to me, the quality of the PS3 killer apps looks set to continue, as does the breadth of variety and creativity. M$ announcements, anyone got anything to say on them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jimmy

    I've really tried hard to feel the love for MS (as far as the Xbox is concerned), but I just can't do it. Like Hideo Kojima, I don't mind them having a popular console with some good features/games, but I wouldn't want to waste my own time with a 360!

    As for their E3 announcements, I was fairly 'meh' as the kids would say. For first party titles/exclusives, I just don't see the love and innovation that you might typically get from Sony (Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Wipeout, GT, KZ2, Flower, Last Guardian to name a few recent ones).

    I know I shouldn't, but looking through the articles on N4G makes me laugh. Loads of Xbox supporters saying how Sony got 'owned' because they'll soon be able to get Facebook on their Xbox (why?!?).

    All this from a set of fans who have belittled Sony for focusing on things other than games in the past.

    As for the Natal 'demo', it's not something that interests me personally, and I can't see the Wii crowd converting because a)they already have a Wii, b) they already have WiiFit etc... c)no Mario/Mariokart/Mario Pilates d)360 is ugly and noisy e)Girls Aloud/Louise, Harry & Jamie Redknapp don't try and sell me one every 30 seconds.

    I might sound like a staunch Sony supporter (which is probably true), and I realise they mess up every now and again (sometimes in a big way)...but come on, who really wants to play Alone in th...sorry Alan Wake over Uncharted 2?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. cheers Pabloamigo, yep I can't see a very focused, progressive attack from M$, the PS3 really does seem to be growing in creativity and technical achievement, just like we were all told it would. Serious gamers like us lot need something with a bit more depth, we seem to still have it - happy days.

    ReplyDelete