Tuesday 16 June 2009

Final Fantasy... Is 7 the one we should remember

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/70336-remembering-the-orphan-final-fantasy-viii/

Many of us are rediscovering FFVII on the PSP courtesy of the playstation store, i've just finished disc 2 and while the game remains just as charming as the first time i played it, it's not my favourite. That title goes to VIII. Yet 7 is remembered as a fan favourite, 8 is grudgingly liked/hated, people remembering squall as 'emo' and the story as being unremarkable...

I've not been able to talk about 8 as eloquantly as I'd have liked, but the above article sums up perfectly why the game shouldn't be disregarded as the black sheep of the series, and why there is more than meets the eye in terms of story. If the game comes out on PSN don't ignore it, your missing out on a game yeeeears ahead of its time.

6 comments:

  1. anything has to be better than Final Fantasy Tactics! i thought that game was just plain poor and a nasty cheap cash-in.

    FFvii though. epic win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently Tactics is coming out on the PSN some time in the near future (in the US at least).

    Played a bit of FF8 when it first came out, but seem to remember my save game corrupting (cheap 3rd party memory card iirc) and I couldn't be arsed to start it again.

    May have to revisit if it ever appears on the store.

    Mcloving FF7 though, this will be the third time I've played through it and it's still brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favoured game style is usually more "BLAAM BLAAM BLAAM BLAAM BLAAM BLAAM BLAAM BLAAM BLAAM BLAAM BLAAM BLAAM ...... GOTCHYA" so I've never given much time to FF. I have downloaded FF7 and will stoke up the PSP's long forgotten battery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be sure to play it on your PSP, the game hasn't aged patricularly well on the ps3 :S

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wish there was a decent (modern) JRPG on the PS3. What is taking everybody so long?

    I had tons and tons on the PS2, some I didn't even get chance to play (hello Rogue Galaxy).

    I even resorted to buying the PS3 version of Enchanted Arms when it came out (shudders).

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Tkemp - hello. the same goes for Front Mission 3, that looks horrible on the PS3 and a big screen :(

    @pabloamigo - i think the last PS2 RPG i played was Phantasy Star Universe. on the PS3 it has to be Fallout 3 it's fucking great balls of fun. about 15hrs off the 200hrs mark with that game :D

    ReplyDelete